Sunday, August 17, 2014

One week to go

In exactly one week from now I'll be out on the bike section of Ironman Copenhagen. I did my final hard session yesterday, a 90km bike in ferociously windy conditions followed by an 8 km run. All felt good, with the bike pace close to race day target, and the run much faster (although obviously a much shorter distance!). This morning I swam 4.4 km in a local lake, going through the Ironman swim distance (3.8 km) in a little over an hour. So from a fitness perspective, I'm feeling good. 

The bad news is that Hunter, my 6 year old son, woke-up this morning with a hacking cough, so the pre-Ironman challenge for me is to try to dodge his bugs!!! Bring in the 'juicer', which Camilla bought yesterday. I'm sat here blogging in the kitchen, as Camilla and my daughter Grace blend vegetables, citrus fruits and berries, to make a variety of nutritious drinks, which hopefully will help cut short any unwelcome sore throats or coughs I might pick-up this week.

The weather has also turned autumnal, with an air temperature of 14oC, rain and high winds forecast for the rest of this week. Let's see if things improve by next Sunday for race day! If not, then the race strategy will change. The objective of going under 10 hours, whilst still possible, will take a back seat, with my primary focus being on performing well in the conditions and not letting myself (or those who've supported me in the past few months) down. This will mean finding my physical and mental limits, and making sure that when I cross the line I have nothing left to give. Whatever time I end up finishing in will just have to be good enough! Let's see!

    

No comments:

Post a Comment